Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Blink Twice (2024)

Genre: Thriller
Directed by: Zoë Kravitz
Cast: Naomi Ackie, Channing Tatum, Christian Slater, Simon Rex
Time: 102 minutes

 


Frida and her best friend Jess are working as waitresses for an exclusive cocktail party, where they encounter controversial billionaire tech mogul Slater King, who invites them to join him and a group of people to party on a private island. Some time after her arrival there, Frida starts to realize that things might very well not be as they appear to be there.

Considering that, even before the movie starts, the producers shared a “trigger warning”, I was expected to be shocked or at the very least surprised by the content of Blink Twice. I had forgotten that this is 2024. The violence and the sordid matters are suggested much more than they are seen. There are a few rough flashes here and there, but it is not that bad. I get that the viewer sees the memories of the victims as they come to them. That is a choice that can easily be defended, but the warning was a bit much in my book, since it is clearly not usual.

Blink Twice offers a slow burn story-wise. Things are slow to get going to the point that I almost got bored, but, once it kicks into high gear, it gets better. I can clearly see the feminine prints on the story, as the moral of the whole thing is in bold and underlined a few times. Blink Twice is neither bad nor great. It is a decent movie about some bad people doing bad things. The acting is a little over-the-top at times, but it was mostly okay.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment