Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Jay Roach
Cast: Mike Myers, Heather Graham, Michael York, Robert Wagner
Time: 95 minutes

 


Dr. Evil returns from space with another plan to take over the world. To stop Austin Powers from interfering, Dr. Evil goes back in time to the 1960’s, when the super spy was cryogenically frozen, to steal his mojo. While feeling the effects of the theft on his charisma and vitality, Powers also goes back in time to stop Dr. Evil, with the help of a new young female agent, Felicity Shagwell.

This is certainly the best film in the franchise. Mike Myers was truly at his peak here. There is so much humor hidden in every little detail. There are so many cultural references that some might be easy to miss, so I find it nice to revisit this one once in a while.

This second installment in the Austin Powers trilogy is such a fun film. I love it. Sure, it is low-brow, gross comedy, but it doesn’t take itself seriously, which makes it so charming. The Flint and James Bond inspirations are clear and it is wonderful to witness, with the colors, the costumes and the laughter.

Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment