Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Friday, October 4, 2024

The Sweetest Thing (2002)

Genre: Romantic Comedy
Directed by: Roger Kumble
Cast: Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate, Selma Blair, Thomas Jane
Time: 85 minutes

 


Christina Walters is an interior designer that is known as a player on the dating scene. She hangs out with her best friends Courtney and Jane, and she makes a conscious effort never to get attached to the men she goes out with. All of this changes one evening when she meets a man named Peter in a club. Peter challenges her a bit, and she finds herself falling for him more and more.

This is a comedy written by Nancy Pimental, who wrote it based on her relationship with her friend Kate Walsh. It seems that her objective was to show that women can be just as crude and as playful on the dating scene as men. Mission accomplished.

As such, it is an entertaining flick, albeit very silly. A few scenes made me laugh out of loud. The ensemble is a little flimsy, story-wise, which is unfortunate. With such a loaded cast, stronger material could have made a killing.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment