Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Tom Shadyac
Cast: Jim Carrey, Sean Young, Courteney Cox
Time: 86 minutes

 


After the Miami Dolphins’ mascot Snowflake is kidnapped, the football team’s publicist decides to hire Ace Ventura, a very eccentric man who calls himself a Pet Detective, to work on the case, alongside the Miami Police.

This is my 1500th review for this blog. On this momentous occasion, I decided to revisit a film that holds a special place in my heart. I had not seen it again since I started this blog, so it was cool to see it again with older eyes. I still remember the discovery of this film and of Jim Carrey’s work. Then, kids at my school keet repeating the taglines. It was a phenomenon.

The film is a little dated, looking at it 30 years later, but it is still a lot of fun. Yes, Carrey’s antics are over-the-top, but they are so entertaining — to me, anyways. The story is nothing complicated, but that is normal for this type of comedy. It doesn’t take itself seriously, it just aims to entertain. In that sense, mission accomplished.

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment