Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, July 19, 2021

Batman Begins (2005)

Genre: Superhero
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman 
Running Time: 140 minutes

 


After finding his calling as the dark knight, Batman must spring into action to stop Ra’s al Ghul and Scarecrow from punishing Gotham City by plunging it into chaos by spreading a gas over the city.

This film puts a lot of effort into telling the origin story of Bruce Wayne/Batman, from the killing of his parents to him becoming the masked superhero. As such, it takes a while before it gets into gear. Though that part feels a little long, it is indeed well done.

Christian Bale was a great choice to play Batman. He fits well with the contemporary darkness of this reboot. In this first episode of the reboot, Bale is supported with a loaded cast, with such names as Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman. Not sure about the choice of Katie Holmes, but that would be fixed later in the franchise.

This movie marks a nice change in the Batman franchise, with a move from the cartoonish stylings of Tim Burton to a darker and more realistic approach. Kudos to Christopher Nolan and co. for that.

Rating: ««««

 

No comments:

Post a Comment