Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

On Location with George Carlin (1977)


Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Marty Callner
Cast: George Carlin
Time: 85 minutes



This is George Carlin’s very HBO comedy special, recorded live at the University of Southern California. Since the famous comedian had just won his case for free speech against the FCC, the program starts with Newsweek columnist Shana Alexander explaining that this kind of language in entertainment was rarely seen on TV at that point.

Most of the material in this show is very tame, especially by today’s standards. Carlin discusses such topics as grocery shopping, food, walking, dogs vs cats, old folks vs kids, the news and brand names. Then, the show ends with the infamous bit about the dirty words you cannot say on television. Before that section starts, there is a pause in the broadcast with a written warning message about the language. The seven dirty words bit would evolve some more after this show and become a classic.

Carlin was just starting on HBO here and he had not hit his full stride yet. The flow and pace is not as tight as it should be and some of the material is not as strong as his later stuff would be. Still, it is cool to see where it started and there is still a loud of very funny material here.
Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment