Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Decline of Western Civilization Part III (1998)


Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Penelope Spheeris
Cast: Final Conflict, Litmus Green, Naked Aggression, The Resistance
Time: 86 minutes



The third and last installment in the Decline of Western Civilization trilogy deals with the teenagers and young adults living the punk lifestyle in the streets of LA, squatting and sleeping where they may, drinking and taking drugs and listening to music. We hear from many of these people usually referred to as gutter punks and we also from some of the bands they listen to. A police officer and a club owner also give their perspective.

This documentary is the saddest and more serious one of the three. At first, the director came off a little voyeuristic with her questions to these kids. But, then I got it: She wanted to hear their stories in the most honest, clear and precise way possible. I do not have kids, but I have young ones close to me: This movie made me think of them.

This film might be 20 years old, but the message remains the same: We have to take better care of our kids. A lot of these gutter punks had suffered through abuse and they had rebelled to the point of being completely out of society. The alcoholism, the despair and the total carelessness towards their own lives: It was very sad to see.

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment