Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011)

Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Olivia Harrison, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton
Running time: 208 minutes



This documentary, directed by Martin Scorsese, looks back on the life of rock guitarist, singer and songwriter, George Harrison. It starts with Harrison’s formative years, and then goes on through the Beatles era, the search for meaning in a material world and then onto the man’s solo career and early passing, at the age of 58.

In this film, we get to hear from family members, friends and a number of musicians who worked with George Harrison over the years. Scorsese has shown himself to be a great fan of music in his life and he seemed to have a genuine respect and appreciation for the former Beatle by the way he made this documentary. Some touchy situations were discussed, such as Harrison’s former wife leaving him for his friend Eric Clapton, but it was all done in a very delicate way.

I found it interesting to see a very thorough documentary film on George Harrison, a Beatles member that I always found to be so much underrated. It was great that some light could shine on all that he has accomplished in his career.

The only fault I found with this documentary was technical: The sound of the musical material was quite high, while the sound of the interviews was low, so I had to keep adjusting my set all the way through. Other than that small flaw, this is a must see.
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment