Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Anger Management (2012-2014)

Genre: TV / Comedy
Starring: Charlie Sheen, Selma Blair, Shawnee Smith, Brian Austin Green
Number of seasons: 5



Following his very public meltdown and firing from Two and a Half Men by Chuck Lorre, Charlie Sheen landed another gig playing the lead role in Anger Management, a TV series loosely based on the 2003 movie of the same name. In the show, Sheen plays Charlie Goodson, a former minor league baseball player whose career ended due to injury after he broke his bat on his knee in anger. Now an anger management therapist, he tries to help others deal with their own anger issues.

Charlie Sheen knows the role he played here quite well: Drinking, womanizing, anger, etc. He does that role like its second nature. His chemistry with Selma Blair in the early episodes was quite good, it is too bad that relationship soured off-screen and Blair was dismissed. Sheen never quite found that chemistry again with Laura Bell Bundy, his second female counterpart in the show.

Brian Austin Green was a nice surprise as Sean Healy, a character who becomes a regular in later episodes. Green plays something quite far from his 90210 days, and he does a good job of it. Shawnee Smith, on the other hand, I found very aggravating as Charlie’s ex-wife. Something about her voice bothered me. Good thing we saw less and less of her character as the show went on. They had gotten the most out of it anyways.

Anger Management has its moments, but it ended up being very static and repetitive. The characters of Charlie Goodson’s patients were a little too one-note and could have been fleshed-out a little more, though the actors involved did their best with the material they were given. At times, the situations became a little redundant and lacking in oomph. Nonetheless, this show, which was broadcasted on FX between 2012 and 2014, manages to offer a good dose of laughs, in spite of its shortcomings.



Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment