Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Date Movie (2006)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Aaron Seltzer
Cast: Alyson Hannigan, Adam Campbell, Jennifer Campbell
Running time: 101 minutes



Julia Jones is a lonely obese woman looking for love. Working at her parent’s restaurant, she serves coffee to a beautiful man and she is smitten with him, but, when her back is turned, he disappears. Desperate and feeling ugly, she sees a consultant, Hitch, who convinces her to go through a physical transformation, Pimp My Ride style, and then be a contestant on The Extreme Bachelor. The Bachelor is the same guy she saw at the restaurant, and they fall in love. But, when the families get together, all hell breaks loose.

Date Movie is one of many spoof films put together to poke fun at various cinema genres. Here, as you will probably guess, we are talking about romantic comedies. Among the movies being spoofed in this 2006 comedy are: My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Bridget Jones’ Diary, Hitch, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Napoleon Dynamite and Wedding Crashers.

Unfortunately, there is nothing really memorable about Date Movie. A decent cast of talented comic actors was assembled, but the material they were given was absolutely putrid. There is a way to make toilet humor funny, but the makers of this film sure did not find it. Skip this one, folks, unless you are starved for punishment.

Rating: «

No comments:

Post a Comment