Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Birdman Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)

Genre: Drama
Starring: Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone
Running time: 119 minutes



Riggan Thomson is an aging Hollywood actor who had gained stardom playing the role of superhero Birdman in a franchise of films. Decades later, way past his prime, he is haunted by the inner voice of his old character as he tries to revive his career by mounting a play on Broadway.

As one would imagine by reading the title or the premise of this movie, this is a weird one. In fact, it is so weird that it could easily have been off-putting if it were not for the wonderful acting by everybody involved.

Michael Keaton, who we have not seen enough in the last few years, is absolutely brilliant here as the fading star trying to capture success again all the while battling his inner demons. Edward Norton is also very solid in the role of a method actor known for his volatility on and off the stage. Norton is so good you often want to punch his character in the nose. As for Emma Stone, what can I say? I have always been very fond of her for some reason.

The ending of this film left me quite perplexed, like it probably did for so many others. I will definitely be seeing this one again, mostly for the quality acting work done by the whole cast.
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment