Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

We're The Millers (2013)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Rawson Marshall Thurber
Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Jason Sudeikis, Emma Roberts
Running time: 110 minutes



David Clark’s life is going nowhere. No wife and kids, he gets by as a low-level pot dealer. When his money and drugs get stolen, he is forced by his supplier to smuggle Marijuana from Mexico. Crossing the border alone looking life he does doesn’t sound like a good way to fly under the radar, so he decides to enlist the help of a stripper who lives in his building and of two kids roaming around. Posing as a family, they will try to smuggle the drugs, but this experience might prove to be more difficult than they ever imagined.

The main purpose of We’re the Millers is to entertain. There is no big message here, just plain comedy. As such, it is quite funny. I have found myself laughing quite a few times, especially at Jason Sudeikis’ antics on screen. He has a gift for comedic situations. The kids are also good here.

My main issue is with Jennifer Aniston. While she has been good in other roles, I did not find her convincing at all as an aging stripper. She never seems to fully commit to the role. That dance scene she does to impress the bad guys and get the family out of trouble was all right, but, otherwise, she never really managed to make me believe it.

The story of We’re the Millers is entertaining. Sure, you have to suspend disbelief and some things are greatly exaggerated, but that is to be expected with that kind of comedy. A good movie for a slow night where you want to relax a bit.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment