Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Copacabana (1947)

Genre: Comedy / Musical
Directed by: Alfred E. Green
Starring: Groucho Marx, Carmen Miranda
Running time: 92 minutes



Lionel Devereaux and his fiancée Carmen Navarro are having very minimal success as nightclub performers. With bills piling up, and realizing she is so much more talented than he is, Lionel decides to become her manager and to try to book her at the famous Copacabana club. Getting caught in a lie while trying to look more credible as a manager, Lionel has to find a second act for his roster, a French singer called Mlle Fifi. Carmen will now have to carry on the subterfuge, playing both roles, so they can benefit from that much needed contract.

This 1947 musical comedy was mostly a showcase for Carmen Miranda’s singing. As a nightclub singer, she was indeed very good. As an actress, she was too over-the-top for me. All her grimacing became a bit much after a while and too much emphasis was put on her and the music.

Groucho Marx got to feature some of the comedy he became famous for, and that was a hoot. It may not be in everyone’s taste, but it has always made me laugh. It was Groucho’s first movie without the Marx brothers and he seemed a bit lost at times. That being said, I still enjoyed the comic relief he provided in between the musical parts.

Copacabana was a fine movie for Groucho’s comedy. All the nightclub singing was not my thing, but it might be pleasing to some. Go in with low expectations if you decide to give it a look.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment