Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Melville Shavelson
Starring: Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda
Running time: 111 minutes



Frank, a recently detached widower Navy Officer, meets Helen, a widow herself. Between the two of them, they have 18 kids. Is that too much baggage for two people to start a life together? Maybe not.

This film was the subject of a 2005 remake, starring Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo, which I have recently reviewed on here.

With Lucille Ball, we get a certain dose of “I Love Lucy” slapstick comedy here and it feels a little over-the-top. It felt odd to see her in this kind of role, and she seemed a little out of place to me. I simply didn’t feel the chemistry between Ball and Fonda.

A lot more emphasis was put in the original on getting these two characters together. In the remake, they were high school sweethearts, but, in the original, they are strangers. I think that bogged down the story in the beginning, and it is a definite improvement the remake made in my opinion. Once the ball started rolling, story-wise, it improved a bit, but there was too much emphasis put on physical comedy and on illustrating the size of the family.

I must say I was amazed by the level of comedy displayed considering the era the film was made in. Some of the humor must have been seen as risqué at that point in time. Overall, this is a very average film. Some cuteness involved, but nothing memorable.

Rating: ««


No comments:

Post a Comment