Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

History of the Eagles (2013)

Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Alison Ellwood
Starring: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Don Felder, Joe Walsh
Running time: 187 minutes



This two-part documentary tells the story of the American rock band The Eagles. The first part covers the beginnings, the success that came to these young men and then the band’s breakup in 1980. The second part deals with the 1994 reunion and then the last tour, which shares its name with this documentary.

It was kind of weird that, a few days after I watched this particular documentary on Netflix, Glenn Frey, a founding member of The Eagles, passed away. It gave me a bigger understanding of the loss that represents for the world and for music, as I am now more familiar than ever before with the work he did with that band and as a solo artist.

The documentary itself is very comprehensive and informative. I really appreciated the fact that these are not outsiders sharing their thoughts on The Eagles. Every member of the band, past of present, is heard from, and no punches are pulled. Even people not on good terms with Henley and Frey, the co-leaders of the band, got their chance to share their thoughts, and they say what is on their mind. That is very refreshing.

History of the Eagles is an excellent documentary that has to be seen by any rock music fan out there that has an appreciation for this band. Their impact is undeniable and their music will stay with us forever. They can check out anytime they like, but they can never leave.
Rating: «««««


No comments:

Post a Comment